[kde-doc-english] OT: mixing locales and languages with different directions

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 21:52:14 UTC 2012

If there is a better list to ask this, please let me know, but I figure
someone here is likely to have experience with this issue.

On the KMyMoney list we recently had a question from a user who has his
default locale set for Israel, where the direction of Hebrew is right
to left.  KMyMoney does not have a Hebrew translation, so the English
version is displayed - but still right to left.  If the app is launched
with --reverse on the command line, things show up the correct way.

The user doesn't think he should have to think about this.  If there
were a Hebrew translation, the right to left direction would be
correct.  If English is used, should he be able to expect the system to
know it should use left to right for that application?  Is there
something KMM should/could check for this?  Is this a bug or
enhancement request for  KDE, and if so, which component.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Jack