[kde-doc-english] Khelpcenter stylesheet issues - again

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Jan 11 01:01:01 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, January 10, 2012 23:45:53 Burkhard =?ISO-8859-1?Q?L=FCck?= wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a few month ago we had a discussion on this list about Khelpcenter
> stylesheet issues, see
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=131419999120078&w=2
>
> I'd like to get back to issue 3) from that discussion:
> "distance between the last line of text and the top of the footer is too
> big"
> In one of the mails in this thread Michael Pyne wrote:
> > IIRC the amount of padding was in order to ensure that the footer appears
> > at the bottom of very short pages. It should be compensated for by a
> > corresponding negative padding-bottom (or some other CSS hack) elsewhere.
>
> At first glance this seems to be a great idea to have the footer always at
> the bottom of the page, but from my pov this idea fails, because it is
> impossible to define what a *very short page* due to:

The negative padding-bottom/CSS hack would be used to ensure that the content
box does not have that large gap if the content would be long enough by itself
to push the footer to the bottom.

In essence, the theory is that the content box is expanded by some large
amount and then contracted by the same amount -- the overall height doesn't
change, but the layout ends up being based on the smaller of "large amount"
and the actual content height.

> I'd like to read your comments please.

I'm pretty sure the technique I'm talking about was a standard-ish CSS
technique for this but given that I haven't had time to go and correct I would
be just fine with reverting the half-working CSS at this point until it can be
done properly (if that can be done at all).

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne