[kde-doc-english] kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/ outdated for each language and a question

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Thu Jan 5 22:35:47 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2012, 22:32:41 schrieb Antoni Bella Pérez:
>   Hi Burkhard
>
> El Dijous, 5 de gener de 2012, a les 21:40:58, vau escriure:
> > Am Montag, 2. Januar 2012, 11:20:02 schrieb Antoni Bella Pérez:
> > >   Hi
> > >
> > >   My name is Toni and I am a member of the Catalan Translator Team.
> > >
> > >   I notice that there outdated subdirectories into
> > >
> > > "kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/" for each language. Since this is
> > > important work for doc translators I add a diff of reference (possible
> > > changes):
> > > <https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/diff/kdoctool
> > > s /c
> > > ustomization/ca?rev=75d50df21b4ca0c381b57f91f27a1541dc706c8d&rev_to=07f
> > > a6da 6cf779d4f3b548aa23429421adf124ada>
> >
> > Thanks for your mail, that is a known issue
> > (kdelibs/kdoctools/customization not in scripty's workflow)
> >
> > >   I have a question or request:
> > > To prevent these situations could add version headers in the files, for
> > > example, as Debian.
> > > <http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/ca>
> >
> > From my pov we can do that even better and convert nearly everything from
> > kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/ to the buildingblocks
> > (branches/work/doc/buildingblocks) and then include that into scripty's
> > tool chain.
>
>   This is newI! Any reference to TechBase?

No, this very new, just the start of a new doc/translation system described
long time ago here
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=123461844907311&w=2 which was the end
of a long discussion with Chusslove and others.

Now we have the docbook stuff in kdelibs/kdoctools/customization, not processed
by scripty (update here needs a mail like yours to kde-i18n-doc at kde.org> -
thanks for doing that), pulled into each and every docbook via entities.

From my pov we should do it the other way round. All common doc stuff at one
place in building blocks and in app docs only docs special for the app and for
anything else just a link to the relevant sections of the building blocks.

That has a lot of advantages:

* all changes are automatically processed by scripty, no need for mails like
yours to kde-i18n-doc

* *one* *and* *only* *one* place to update a doc for a common task like
toolbars configuration etc.

* only *one* translation of common stuff like e.g. shortcuts configuration

* get rid of a lot of boring docs+translation in the apps docs

* experienced kde user must not read well known kde stuff, which maybe even
cover the important infos for him.
If a common KDE behaviour changes, he will notice that once, read the docs for
this change and has no need to look at this issue until the next change.

* new kde user once will stumble over an issue he does not understand, read
that in the building blocks and is fine until he has the next problem etc.

*and many more advantages ...

Of course that is only my pov, but seeing the stuff in buildingblocks growing
that could be a very good start for my vision.

Thanks.

--
Burkhard Lück