[kde-doc-english] Quick review: GUI elements in PDF

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 21:10:52 UTC 2012

Hi Yuri and Burkhard!

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2012, 19:33:58 schrieb Yuri Chornoivan:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Current conversion system of d.k.o treats GUI elements in docbook as the
>> plain text. This is strict traditional approach. On the other hand HTML
>> conversion CSS has extansive system of coloring (enhancing) formatting.
>>
>> So, I just need a quick review.
>>
>> What do you think about GUI elements representation in the following files
>> (~400 KB each, plain text)?
>>
> In the HTML on d.k.o Line have the same distance, no matter if a word (gui
> element) is highlighted or not.
> In the PDFs the distance for lines with highlighted words is bigger than
> without, that gives a font type face.

A few more stylistic nitpicks:

The boxes that contain letters with descenders ('p', 'q', etc.) are
larger than boxes without them.  (See View -> Redisplay at the bottom
of Page 2 for an example.)  I'm not sure how you're doing the
highlighting, since this isn't in SVN yet, but IIRC the "soul" package
in CTAN does this sort of thing without these issues:
http://www.ctan.org/pkg/soulutf8

Also, IMHO it would look nicer if <guibutton>s were colored like the
rest of the <gui*> elements.  (I like the black borders for those too,
though.)

> If the PDF's should have highlightung of gui elements, hmm not sure about
> that...

I rather like it.  :-)

-T.C.