[kde-doc-english] Building blocks ready to go into master?

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sun Feb 5 22:03:58 UTC 2012

Am Sonntag, 5. Februar 2012, 00:47:57 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> Could you give a quick summary of what building blocks is for the people
> that  haven't been following the discussion much?

The actual version of building blocks can be found in
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/doc/buildingblocks/

Credits for the name and idea go to Chusslove (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-
i18n-doc&m=123461844907311&w=2), for the work to T.C. Hollingsworth and
various GoogleGoogle Code-In 2011 participants.

Now we have:

* entities from kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/ (help-menu, install-intro,
report-bugs, install-compile, update-doc etc) pulled into all application
docbooks.
Not processed by scripty, so translation teams are not automatically notified
about changes/updates
* lot of docs for task common to all KDE applications (shortcuts, toolbars,
spellcheck, file dialog, common menu items etc) slightly different in many
application docbooks.

With building blocks:
* all common docs in one place
* move as much as possible (all?) from kdelibs/kdoctools/customization into
building blocks
* in application docbooks sections about shortcuts, toolbars, spellcheck, file
dialog, common menu items, help menu etc will be replaced with links to the
relevant section in building blocks.

Benefits with building blocks:

* documentation team:
  one central place to keep the common doc stuff up to date
  not wasting time to keep similar docs spread over may docbooks up to date,
  but concentrate on application specific tasks and infos

* translation teams:
  automatical notification via scripty about changes of entities now in kdelibs
  only one translation of common tasks, not many but slightly different in
  several application docbooks

* users
  experienced kde user are not bored reading known infos over and and over
  again in any docbook, they get only the application specific infos

Migration procedure:

Copy of finished parts of buildingblocks should go into master immediately and
should be backported to 4.8 as usual. Chapter/Section with info about getting
the sources and build it has to be added asap, because in ~50 % of all
application docbooks it is currently wrong due to splitted git repos (e. g. no
kdeedu tarball any more)

In the meantime the doc team tries to improve and extend the building blocks
in branches/work (visuell dictionary, a11y, application overview for common
tasks, etc, etc) and copy to master/backport the parts ready to get in.

For translation teams the building blocks in stable should be kind of
essential like the essentials for GUI.

If we have enough (what is enough here?) translated building blocks in stable,
the doc team can start to replace every info in an application docbook which
is in building blocks with a link. Of course first only in kde main modules,
later on in extragear + playground.

Both systems have to coexist for at least a few years until all applications
in kde git require a minimum kde version with the building blocks.

--
Burkhard Lück