[kde-doc-english] Visual Dictionary

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 02:26:08 UTC 2012

Hi!

I just committed my first stab at a visual dictionary to
branches/work/doc.  The non-docs folks (or those too lazy to meinproc
it ;-) can check it out here:
http://tchol.org/kde/fundamentals/ui.html

I just did one part so far:  the basic elements of a window.  I'll
also do all the little things like checkboxes and buttons and the
like, but I wanted to get some feedback first so I won't have to
change around dozens of UI elements.  ;-)

You'll notice there's a full screenshot at the top, and you can click
on the different parts of the window to jump to the name and
description of it.  Ideally we'll have some fancy visual indicators
like the Plasma visual dictionary, but those can wait.  (You might
also notice that it looks weird uncentered.  We have a CSS rule to
center normal <mediaobject>s but not <mediaobjectco> which makes
imagemaps.  I'll fix this soon.)

I'm not sure I like how the description ends up smashed like it is due
to the wider screenshots.  My original thought was to have the name
and description in one column, but the only way I could think to do it
and look decent is using <variablelist> markup and that would be
rather verbose.

Everyone's feedback is most welcome.  :-)

Thanks,
T.C.