[kde-doc-english] The Plasma Handbook - KDE Help Center - just plain broken

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 00:14:52 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:13 AM, erbenton <erbenton at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>  This tool has a problem, the "find" ability at the bottom of the KDE Help
> Center dialog only searches the currently visible page.
> How is one supposed to find help? Must I weed through every page looking for
> the item i need help on?
> Please fix this. I like KDE but but it has always suffered from a very poor
> help system.
> F1 should take me right to the relevant page should it not?

Search has been broken in KHelpCenter for ages, IIUC, and won't be
until someone steps up to fix it.  Unfortunately, KHelpCenter is
largely unmaintained at the moment.

> I am using KIDE 4.7.2 release 5 running on openSUSE 12.1 x86_64
>
> I was looking for multiple monitor help info because i wanted to understand
> why some programs like
> firefox always open on my right hand screen instead of remembering where
> they were last closed.
> So I had the the "Configure KDE for Multiple Monitors" open and pressed F1
> for help -  - go and try it!
> See how helpful it is. You might as well not even have a help system if its
> gong to be like that.
> Remember what happened to Borland? They had a great line of products
> (compilers and such)
>  but their help was so poor it almost destroyed them.

I recently completed documentation for the Multiple Monitors
systemsettings module, but it hasn't made it in the offline
documentation yet.  You can view it online here:
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kde-workspace/kcontrol/multiplemonitors/index.html

-T.C.