[kde-doc-english] skanlite interface vs. on-line manual

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Mon Oct 10 05:46:41 UTC 2011

On Sunday 09 October 2011 23:30:36 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Samstag, 8. Oktober 2011, 18:51:05 schrieb Kåre Särs:

> > > A well hidden feature, adding GUI keyword to commit messages will notify
> > > kde- doc-english at kde.org about such changes.

> > > One question:
> > > Settings dialog:
> > > "Disable automatic selections"?
> > > I see no different behaviour selecting/deselectiong this option, but
> > > maybe I'm blind. Please elaborate.
> >
> > A bug :(
> >
> > I just fixed it in trunk.
> >
> Hmm...
> Updated and tried again, but somehow I still don't get it.
>
> Please explain what happens/should happen and the use case for this option.

OK, so if you have _not_ disabled the automatic selection and place two photos
on the flatbed and do a preview, Skanlite (libksane) will automatically add
"saved selections" of the photos. ("saved selections" might need a better name
:)

If on the other hand you are usually scanning documents it might be that the
automatic selection will select a lot of different parts in the documents and
you have to manually remove the saved selections. That can become irritating
and that is why I added the option to disable the automatic selection.

> > > An outline for a new section "Sanning multiple parts of an image"
> > >
> > > Usecase: You need only certain parts of an image.
> > > Instead of scanning the whole picture and then using a graphics
> > > application (e.g. kolourpaint) to save the different parts into separate
> > > files, let skanlite do it for you.
> > >
> > > Workflow:
> > > Scan a preview
> > > Use the &LMB; to select the first part in the preview.
> > > Hoover with mouse -> click "+" icon -> red border
> > > Select the other details in the same way
> > > Remove a selection -> hoover with mouse -> click "-" icon
> > > &RMB; context menu -> Clear Selections
> > > Settings - adjust Image saving options (location, name format, preview
> > > etc) If you are satisfied with your choices use Scan button to get all
> > > selections in one go.
> > > The trailing number of the file name is automatically increased.
> >
> > Thanks :)
> >
> > Maybe the save settings could be a separate chapter, because it is also
> > connected to batch scanning from automatic document feeders.
> >
> Yep, makes sense, I did not have automatic document feeders in mind.
>
> Thanks.

Thank you :)

I'm in the process of making new screenshots of the updated parts of the UI
and will add them in a couple of days. I only have an Epson scanner so the
options will be limited to what the epson2 backend provides.

/Kåre