[kde-doc-english] Re: formatting question for <author> sections

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 5 22:31:14 CEST 2011

On 2011.07.05 15:57, Jack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While preparing a new version of the KMyMoney handbook, I've noticed
> that the <author> sections are not consistent, in that some use
> entities
>    <author> &author.name; &author.name.mail; </author>
> and some are fully written out
>    <author>
>      <firstname>author</firstname>
>      <surname>author</surname>
>      <affiliation>
>      </affiliation>
>    </author>
>
> What I find interesting, is that in the first case, the displayed
> handbook page only has the author's name, not his email address, but
> in the latter case, it shows both name and email.  I've tried several
> variations, and the email address only shows up with the full
> <affiliation><address><email> format.  (The .mail entities are all
> defined with just <email>user at host</email>.)
>
> I suppose it is not really important whether an author's email
> address shows up at chapter and section headings, but I like
> consistency, and I'm curious if this is a known issue and whether
> there is any point in adding <affiliation><address> around the
> <email> either in the contributor.entities file, or just within the
> <author> sections in the docbook files.

Sorry to respond to my own post so quickly, but it turns out adding
<affiliation><address> around the &author.name.mail; entity will not
work, because most/all &author.name; entities are defined with
<personname>.

I don't know it this has changed with different docbook dtd versions,
but as I read the error messages, you can have either
or

This is the same issue I found trying to add <contrib> to <author>
sections in the docbook file for the man page.  It is apaparently not
legal with <personname> but OK with all the pieces that were within the
<personname>.  Given this, I wonder if this would be a reason to remove
<personname> from all contributor entities.

Jack