[kde-doc-english] Re: Current plans for the doc team?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Jan 26 14:23:47 CET 2011

Hi!

I am just a translator, but...

написане Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:49:47 +0200, Anne-Marie Mahfouf
<annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr>:

> Hi,
>
> I am going to India in March for the KDE.in conference to talk about
> KDE-Edu
> and I was asked to give a talk about documentation as well. So I need
> some
> pointers on what to say!
> - is there any page with doc TODO?

There are several linked pages:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Documentation/KDE4_(health_table)

> - a list of outdated docs?

See above.

> - there were talks to use a wiki for doc, any news on that?

The script can be found here

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/doc/

but there is no documentation on wiki worth to convert now (except for
some pages, see below).

> - how does Userbase complete the manuals?

Sometimes good (when there is no manual), sometimes not at all.

Good pages worth to convert (imho):

http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual

Problems:
1) unfinished;
2) there is no definite position of this manual in the current Amarok
documentation (is there any possibility to have 2 Help menu entries?).

http://userbase.kde.org/KWord/Manual
http://userbase.kde.org/KWord/Tutorials/BasicLayout
http://userbase.kde.org/KWord/Tutorials/SecondLayout
http://userbase.kde.org/KWord/Tutorials/ThirdLayout

http://userbase.kde.org/KPlato/Engineering_To_Order_project_tutorial

Problem: KOffice split leaves the docs unfinished and scattered.

http://userbase.kde.org/Krfb
http://userbase.kde.org/Krdc

Problem: these are the basic tutorials.

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/HowTo

Problem: the screencast cannot be added to docbook afaik.

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi
http://userbase.kde.org/KAddressBook_4.4

Problem: KDE PIM is heavily broken atm, not sure if it is worth convert
these pages (do not know if it will be possible to use new PIM in 4.7).

That's all, folks. ;)

> - should potential contributors focus on Userbase or on manuals?

Developers (thank you guys) still write to docbook. Manuals from Userbase
(Parley, K3b) are unsupported (no valuable contributions from the time of
docbook conversion).

> Is there any talk about doc available?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Best regards,