[kde-doc-english] Re: On Amarok documentation strategy

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Sep 27 22:36:54 CEST 2010

Hi all,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 21:15, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 27. September 2010, um 08:20:09 schrieb Yuri Chornoivan:
>> Hi!
>>
>> For some time there was no any useful documentation to Amarok.
>>
>> Recently, thanks to some great efforts by Amarok team, we have meaningful
>> and clear "Quick Start Guide" on UserBase:
>>
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/QuickStartGuide
>>
>> Regretfully, Amarok manual:
>>
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual
>>
>> is far from finished.
>>
>> Now, Amarok is at the beginning of the new release cycle and it will be
>> useful to elaborate the strategy on documentation landing.
>>
>> I think that we can proceed as follows:
>> 1) Wait for the Manual to be finished then convert it to the docbook.
>>     Pros: Documentation will cover all usecases.
>>     Cons: Due to the huge size it will hardly be translated soon.
>> 2) Use the current converted version
>> (http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/doc/amarok/   : Amarok page + Quick
>> Start Guide).
>>     Pros: Much more time for translation and ironing glitches. Gradual
>> landing of documentation.
>>     Cons: Incomplete documentation.
>>
>> So, what do you think about this?
>>
> From a translators PoV I'd like to have 2). If another chapter of the amarok
> documentation is ready, convert it to docbook.
>
> But let us see what the amarok doc team prefers.

I also think 2) is a good idea, and using the Quick Start Guide is a
good idea as it covers the basics and is ready for translation. Also I
was told today that the already existing translations can be exported
to po files, so we can take advantage of the already translated parts.

I think it is a good idea to include the QSG in the next Amarok ASAP,
and it leaves enough time for translators to work on it. I discussed
this with marke today, he is also liking this idea.

Most of he Configuration section of the Manual is ready and only needs
some proofreading, it can also be translated from now on. We agreed
with Valorie to mark for translation each Manual part as soon as we
finish the item, so it can already be translated while on Userbase,
which will reduce the amount of work on docbook alone.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org