[kde-doc-english] Re: On Amarok documentation strategy

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 27 12:56:32 CEST 2010

On Monday 27 Sep 2010 07:20:09 Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> For some time there was no any useful documentation to Amarok.
>
> Recently, thanks to some great efforts by Amarok team, we have meaningful
> and clear "Quick Start Guide" on UserBase:

I am currently re-marking the Quick Start Guide, which should make it simpler
for you to work with.  I will manage probably ~4 pages per day, but I'll get
through it was quickly as I can.

> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/QuickStartGuide
>
> Regretfully, Amarok manual:
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual
>
> is far from finished.

I've been told that it is expected that work on the Manual will be resumed,
now that everyone is "back to normal", but between their work and my markup
work you are right in considering that it will be a while longer.

> Now, Amarok is at the beginning of the new release cycle and it will be
> useful to elaborate the strategy on documentation landing.
>
> I think that we can proceed as follows:
> 1) Wait for the Manual to be finished then convert it to the docbook.
>     Pros: Documentation will cover all usecases.
>     Cons: Due to the huge size it will hardly be translated soon.
> 2) Use the current converted version
> (http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/doc/amarok/   : Amarok page + Quick
> Start Guide).
>     Pros: Much more time for translation and ironing glitches. Gradual
> landing of documentation.
>     Cons: Incomplete documentation.
>
> So, what do you think about this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Yuri

As Yuri already know, if you meet anything in the way things are marked for
translation that causes you problems, please let me know (annew).  We are
adapting our systems and documentation as fast as issued become known.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group