[kde-doc-english] "Documentation not found" handbook in KHelpcenter

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 21 23:32:35 CEST 2010

I would only suggest some minor change in wording, and an added
paragraph explaining the problem before addressing the solution.

One question - it would be nice if we could be consistent with use of
the words documentation, manual, and handbook.  They seem to be used
almost interchangeably.  This confused me a bit as a new KDE user,
until I just got used to the terminology.  I don't know if this is
addressed anywhere in the KDE documentation.

One other possible reason for not finding the manual is that it got
installed in the wrong place.  I believe this is only likely if the
user compiled/installed the application himself - in which case he
should know better, and should probably go to the application team and
not the general KDE help, so I think it's OK to not address that
problem here.

On 2010.09.21 16:52, Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Hi,
>
> until 4.4 the KHelpcenter/konqueror displayed the error message
> "There is no documentation available for %1." and additionally a
> modal dialog with the error message "The file or folder help://%1
> does not exist" in case a documentation was not found for what ever
> reason (not installed, no documentation, bug like wrong/missing
> X-DocPath etc.)
>
> Dealing with bug reports on b.k.o I get the impression this behaviour
> is not more user friendly than a KDebug() output in a konsole, it
> does not give Joe User any hint how to get the missing documentation.
>
> In kde 4.5 the behaviour changed. If a documentation was not found, a
> docbook named documentationnotfound will be displayed. This docbook
> should explain what happened and what to do to get the requested
> information.
>
> I have quickly written a draft for this document:
>
> "The requested documentation was not found on your computer.
Normally, KDE looks for application manuals in a location that depends
on how KDE was installed on your computer.  There are a number of
possible reasons why it could not find the documentation you
requested.  The document might not exist, or it may not have been
installed along with the application.

> How to solve this issue:

> Search on the <ulink url="http://docs.kde.org/">KDE Documentation
> site</ulink> for the requested documentation. If you find the
> documentation on that site, maybe your distribution ships a separate
> package for documentation (&eg; called kdepim-doc for all
> applications from the kdepim module like &kmail; &kontact; &etc;).
> Please use the package manager of your distribution to install the
> missing documentation.
Start by searching the <ulink url="http://docs.kde.org/">KDE
Documentation site</ulink> for the requested documentation. If you find
the documentation on that site, your distribution might ship a separate
package for documentation (&eg;  called kdepim-doc for all applications
from the kdepim module, like &kmail;, &kontact;, &etc;). Please use the
package manager of your distribution to find and install the missing
documentation.

> If you have done that, but still get this page displayed instead of
> the application handbook, you probably found a bug in the &kde; help
> system. please report this on the <ulink
> url="http://bugs.kde.org/">KDE Bug Tracker</ulink>.
If you have done that, but still get this page displayed instead of the
application handbook, you probably found a bug in the &kde; help
system.  In this case, please report this on the <ulink
url="http://bugs.kde.org/">KDE Bug Tracker</ulink>.

> If you find no documentation on the <ulink
> url="http://docs.kde.org/">KDE Documentation site</ulink> the
> application does not have an offline documentation, please report
> this on the <ulink url="http://bugs.kde.org/">KDE Bug Tracker</ulink>.
If you do not find any documentation on the <ulink
url="http://docs.kde.org/">KDE Documentation site</ulink>, the
application may not have offline documentation.  Please report this on
the <ulink url="http://bugs.kde.org/">KDE Bug Tracker</ulink>.  (I
would either say "offline documentation" or "an offline manual")

> In case the application does not have an offline documentation use
> the online ressources <ulink url="http://userbase.kde.org/">Userbase
> Documentation</ulink> and <ulink url="http://forum.kde.org/">KDE
> Community Forums</ulink> to get help."
In case the application does not have offline documentation, you should
use the online ressources <ulink
url="http://userbase.kde.org/">Userbase Documentation</ulink> and
<ulink url="http://forum.kde.org/">KDE Community Forums</ulink> to get
help."

> I am too much involved in the kde documentation system, so I can't
> imagine if this draft is really suited for Joe User.
>
> So please anybody on this list step up and comment/improved this
> draft:
>
> Does Joe User understand what to do?
>
> What is missing, much/less to technical, needs more explanation?
>
> Better wording?
>
> Any more examples how distributions seperate and name the
> documentation for an application or module?
I use Gentoo, which is source based, and may have a separate "ebuild"
to control the compilation and installation of each application - so it
is possible that each one has a different "use flag" to control the
compile/install of the documentation.  It might be reasonable to add
"If you use a source based distribution, such as Gentoo, be sure that
there are not any configuration settings (USE flags in Gentoo) that
might have disabled the installation of the documentation."

> Thanks.
>
> --
> Burkhard Lück

Jack Ostroff