[kde-doc-english] wiki

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Jun 11 14:31:49 CEST 2010

> [: Yuri Chornoivan :]
> So what should we do if someone, like the Blogilo, Rocs, Kigo or Mancala
> developers ask to convert documentation?

They should be told essentially to "foget it". Of course, in nicer words,
with advices on how to create and maintain the documentation in the expected
format themselves.

> What should we do if someone wants to convert blog post in UserBase page
> [1] (it is clear that it cannot be maintained, just rewritten from
> scratch)?

He should be told essentially to "forget it". Of course, in nicer words,
with inquiry if that person actually wants just to use the post as a base
for own piece of Docbook documentation, which the person is intending to
maintain.

> Will the new docbook template and simplistic docbook guide with
> screenshots, mighty Konqi and beautiful Katie explaining how to write
> docbook, patch it and send it back in every distribution be enough? ;)

If that's not enough (although I didn't get all of what you wrote here, I
think I got the gist of it :), than it's not enough, no Docbook
documentation.

I'll just briefly restate some general things that I think should hold:

For the given application, the referent documentation must be a piece of it,
mentally and technically (unlike e.g. Amarok's maintainers not knowing where
Amarok's documentation is) or should not exist.

Referent documentation should not be required to exist to accept the
application (SC, Extragear), as that has been proved in practice to lead to
things like "You can save the document by clicking on the Save icon on the
toolbar, or selecting the Save item in the File menu".

*The* KDE Documentation Team should not operatively engage in any piece of
application documentation. It should operatively maintain only pieces of
documentation on KDE as a desktop platform: things available in KDE apps in
general, cross-application integration, desktop usage patterns, etc. For
everything else, the documentation team should only provide guidance and
advisement. It should also come up with technical support elements, like
systems of integrating documentation in an application and for making it
translatable through KDE Translation Project (which already exist for
Docbook). By this the documentation team decides which format(s) to support;
any application that veers off is on its own.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)