[kde-doc-english] documentation on docs.kde.org

Vikram Dhillon dhillonv10 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 04:42:40 CET 2010

Hi all,
     Hope everyone is doing good. I am currently working on bugs in
kde-docs and hope to get it down to 0 soon. There are some problems
however that I have noticed, a major one being that a lot of
documentation in kde is outdated, especially the screen-shots on
docs.kde.org. Now I do understand that the documentation writers
(including me) are working hard to keep everything up-to-date, but we
need to find another way of updating this information, I don't mean
for this email to come across as criticism, but as a brainstorm on
what can be done to assure that our documentation doesn't fall behind.
Here are some ideas, I thought about that we can use:

1. Add a new tag, something like <release-specific> to some parts of
the docs. that are new features in that release, there is a good part
of docs. that we can use again only updating some of it such as the
new features.. This tag can be used to filter out the docs. using a
script or something similar.

2. Adopt some docs. from userbase and techbase, they can be really
good resources and they stay pretty updated.

3. Develop a system of automatically adding docbook tags, this can
help us with adopting documentation from other sources.

Again, these are just some ideas I thought about what do you guys think :)

Vikram Dhillon

~~~
There are lots of Linux users who don't care how the kernel works, but
only want to use it. That is a tribute to how good Linux is.
-- Linus Torvalds