[kde-doc-english] KDE Documentation Survey

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 18:40:05 CET 2009

On Monday 26 October 2009 17:16:40 Arturo Silva wrote:
> ================================
> Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> ================================
>
> > When thinking about how to improve the KDE documentation situation, I
> > realized that I don't really know a lot about how people use our
> > documentation and what our user's requirements actually are.
> >
> > What about doing a survey and ask users about their current use of
> > documentation and their ideas how it could be improved?
> >
> > We could ask questions to find out:
> > - How do users get help?
> > - How frequently do users use the different tools and systems
> > (KHelpcenter, what's this help, online manuals, userbase, forums, google,
> > etc.) - Do users have Internet connections?
> > - Do users need printable manuals?
> > - Would users be willing to contribute to documentation?
> > - What kind of tools and formats do documentation contributors prefer?
> > - How much do users rely on translated manuals?
> > - What parts of the manuals are users using?
> > - What would users like to see in addition to what we already have?
> >
> > How do you like this idea?
>
> I like the idea as long as such a survey does get a good amount of
> exposure (e.g., not limtied to a forum requiring registration).  A few
> months back (long before I came here) I remember doing surveys which
> allowed me to "vote" for the best Oxygen icons for K3b and KDevelop --
> and despite the limited options and lack of comment fields, I actually
> thought it was a wonderful idea.  It was easy to use, brief and
> informative and relatively painless to participate in.  I'm not sure
> if the amount of responses with this was any better, but I wouldn't be
> surprised if the turnout was relatively impressive.
>
> However, I only really knew about them because they were advertised in
> the major Linux online news sites -- otherwise, I doubt I would've
> known about them at all.  I still wonder if perhaps more were made,
> but slipped under the radar for me.  :(

We could mount a campaign to publicise it on Mailing Lists as well.
http://userbase.kde.org/Mailing_Lists has a list of user-centric ones.  I
could mail those.  What about distro-centric ones?  Does anyone know if such a
list exists anywhere?  If not we'd be trusting to luck that someone who reads
here could contact the various lists.

Anne