[kde-doc-english] KDE documentation team

Frank Schoolmeesters frank.schoolmeesters at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 09:24:44 CET 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf
<annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi Cornelius,
>
> I am not sure who is really part of the documentation team at the moment
> (apart from Burkhard who will probably answer your mail as well).
>
> A few ideas and comments that I have, quickly put together
>
> I concentrate mainly on doc for new applications: when a program is in
> kdereview and ready to move in a module, I try to test it and I check the doc.
> If there is none, I write it (thus testing the program even deeper ;). I then
> try to find an English speaker in order to proof it. Andrew Coles does an
> excellent job with that. It is easy to get the developer cooperation as he is
> eager to get his application into KDE main :)
>
> What are the problems with writing docs?
> - developers do not bother
> - when they bother, the docbook format is too much for them as well as the
> structure of the doc. Some developers though do bother and we help them by
> asking them just a text or any other format that we then put into docbook.
> - getting other people to help with doc effort: it's difficult to write docs for
> a program you do not totally know. Also our team is not big enough to help
> newbies.
> A meeting would help getting people started.

Hi,

I do maintain the Krusader documentation for about five years now.
I have asked the Krusader developers to maintain two text files who
allows me to write documentation updates.
Changelog
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/utils/krusader/ChangeLog?view=markup
A one line description about what is changed.

SVNNEWS
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/utils/krusader/SVNNEWS?view=markup
If a one line description of the Changelog can't explain what the new
feature does exactly, a short description what the new feature does
(e.g.  + hidden keyboard short cuts, mouse actions, ...) .
This allows also that Krusader-SVN users/testers have a explanation of
the new feature when the documentation is not updated yet.

Based on the Changelog and SVNNEWS text files, I update the documentation.
It's an easy solution and developers don't need to be bother with
docbook-xml if they don't want to.

Good software is only good if it's good documented and translated.
Developers should give some minimal information at the documentation editors.
It's a matter of respect for ALL people who are contributing to kde.

Best regards,

Frank Schoolmeesters
http://www.krusader.org