[kde-doc-english] KDE documentation team

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sat Oct 10 22:26:38 CEST 2009

Hi all,

(hope this is the right mailing list to discuss KDE documentation in general.
If not, please advise where a better place is)

I was wondering what the state of the KDE documentation team is. Some of the
docs are pretty outdated and also our software, prominently KHelpcenter
(which ironically apparently still lists me as main developer in the about
box) is lacking behind. There wasn't much innovation in KDE documentation
land lately. But I think we should change that, and in order to do that we
need a strong documentation team. So please understand this as an attempt to
help with bulding up new strength for the KDE documentation team.

There are quite a few things we could do to help with that. One and foremost I
think it's a question of coordination. We do have great documentation
efforts, the classical documentation, new approaches like Userbase or the
knowledge base on opendesktop.org, or also the forums, and of course there is
all what's happening for all the distributions which are shipping KDE, and
much more.

So bringing this all together, stimulating some development of new technology,
maybe a rethinking of some of the assumptions we do (e.g. is it still
essential to be able to print an applications manual), all this could freshen
the KDE documentation effort and improve the experience for our users.

So please let me know, what's the state of the KDE documentation team, what
ideas do you have how to improve the situation, what can we do?

One of the obvious ideas would be to get together the people who are working
on KDE documentation for a face-to-face meeting. But to be able to organize
that we need a better idea of who cares about KDE documentation, and where we
are heading.

All input is welcome.

Regards,
Cornelius