[kde-doc-english] installing kde site documentation

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Mon Feb 23 10:18:33 CET 2009

Hi Jed,

let's keep this discussion on the mailinglist.

Am Freitag 20 Februar 2009 19:14:32 schrieb Jed Parsons:
> Hi, Burkhard,
>
> Thanks for your reply to my question on kde-doc-english.  You pointed
> me to the kdesvn-build help docs.

That's an example how to generate and install a documentation, which is
properly accessible in the navigation tree of khelpcenter.
The location in the navigation tree depends on the keyword list Categories.

> I don't quite understand what you want me to look at.  If I am only
> writing documentation, and not building anything, is is as simple as
> dropping my docbook file in the /usr/share/doc tree?

You can add just a docbook named index.docbook to a subdir
in  /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/lang (exact location depends on your distro).

But then you can access these documentation only in konquerors adress bar
with "help:/mydocumentation". And you need some devel stuff like meinproc4 to
generate the html at runtime.

The documentation is not displayed in the navigation tree of khelpcenter, a
desktop file is missing.

> Or do I need to
> involve the build system in some way?

At least you have to use meinproc4 to generate an index.cache.bz2 and install
the documentation with a link to the common doc dir. You have to install
a .desktop file with entries like Name/Categories to make the docs accessible
in khelpcenter.

> In the end, what I want to produce is a local documentation guide that
> will be listed in the index near 'Welcome to KDE'.

An example how to do this do you find here:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/runtime/khelpcenter/plugins/Tutorials/

--
Burkhard Lück