[kde-doc-english] KDE 4.2.4 **System Tray** problem:

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 23 18:37:17 CEST 2009

On Sunday 23 August 2009 04:29:52 Johan Dieckmann wrote:
> Dear KDE Docs Team:
>
> This concerns the section titled “The Panel” in your document “The Plasma
> Handbook” (Sebastian Kügler, Revision 1.01.00 (2008-06-03)) that I got with
> my (updated Mandriva 2009.0 with) KDE 4.2.4..

Part of the problem is the rapid change in KDE.  The document you quote is
quite old - indeed your Mandriva is almost a year old - and a lot of changes
have taken place during that time.  Please visit UserBase (link in my sig) for
more up-to-date information.

> Therein, you say merely the following about **System Tray**:
>
> “Next on our default panel is the System Tray, which is used by traditional
> applications as a dock. Right clicking on the System Tray allows you to
> hide or show icons.”
>
> And that is all.
>
> Nowhere else in the entire KDE (or Mandriva) documentation could one find
> any more information about the System Tray configuration!
>
> Here is the problem:
>
> If one inadvertently removes this System Tray by a right-click selection of
> the mouse (or even inadvertently removes any one of the default items
> inside the System Tray), there is absolutely no explanation how to
> *restore* it to its original state.

The system tray is a plasmoid, or widget.  You can restore a missing system
tray from the 'Add widget' option on the panel.

Anne