[kde-doc-english] KDE Docs Proposed Change

Derrick Devine ddevine at rpath.com
Thu May 29 15:38:02 CEST 2008

Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> On Sunday 25 May 2008 18:01:29 David Edmundson wrote:
>
>> Dear Doc Maintainers,
>>
>> Can I propose the KDE Documents are changed from looking like:
>> http://sharpley.org.uk/~david/temp/docs/old.png
>> to looking like:
>> http://sharpley.org.uk/~david/temp/docs/new.png
>>

> I definitely think this would be a good thing, especially since the artwork
> already exists, so we wouldn't have to bother the artists :-).
>
> While we're on the topic of technical changes to the style of the
> documentation, I've been thinking since forever that it would be a good idea
> to change the "chunking" in the HTML so that each <chapter> gets its own HTML
> page, instead of having a page for each <sect1>. The current system results
> in a lot of very small pages, and having to click "Next" a lot; with
> <chapter>-level chunking, we'd have pages more like a standard web page, and
> more information would be available to the user in one go. Any thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Phil

This is how we accomplish documentation here...with a chapter focus
instead of sect.  It works quite well because when originally designing
the documentation, your outline is actually USED instead of just being
something to glance back at every once in a while...as outlines are more
chapter based than section based.

I think this would be a proper idea...

--
Derrick Devine, Technical Writer