[kde-doc-english] Regular docmessage update in branch (was Re: doc freeze exception for Marble)

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sat Jan 5 10:51:43 CET 2008

Am Samstag 05 Januar 2008 00:30:42 schrieb Torsten Rahn:
> Hi,
>
> I just talked to  Albert Astals Cid. There are just 3 documentation
> translations for Marble so far.
> Given that Marble's documentation hasn't been updated since more than half
> a year we'd like to take the weekend to update the user documentation a
> bit.
>
> We'd mostly
>
> - update screenshots to the current look and feel.
> - add chapters about the Legend feature, the flat projection and maybe
> other minor stuff.
>
> We don't plan to change the existing text as it still looks mostly correct.
> So stuff that has been translated already doesn't need to get redone but
> just would need further chapters to get translated.
>
> Any objections? ;-)

No.

But this (misssing content) is true for a lot of other documentations, and
often even worse (e.g. wrong and outdated stuff).

So we need a more general approach to catch up with the all other docs, and to
attract more contributors to the dokumentation team (it is not motivating to
see, that your documentation often doesn't get into the recent release).

To achieve this, my proposal:
- improve the docs in trunk
- backport them on a regular basis, e.g. once a month

This allows translators to work in branch on a non moving target for a fixed
timeframe and to fix all errors in trunk they found while translating in
branch, and docwriters to work continuously imroving the docs in trunk.

Burkhard Lück