[kde-doc-english] PDF generation from pt_BR KDE Docbook

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at lincoln.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 16 18:07:21 CEST 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007 3:22:16 pm Felipe Miguel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to generate a PDF file from the brazilian portuguese
> version of the KDE User Guide. Is it possible?
>
> I already tried htmldoc, but I think it has some problems when
> handling with accentuated characters.
>
> I also took a glance on dblatex,
> but it didn't work here (Mandriva 2007.1):
>
> No external file support
> compilation error: file
> /home/felipe/dblatex-0.1.10/share/dblatex/xsl/legalnotice.xsl line 22
> element param
> The value '$nodes' of the attribute 'name' is not a valid QName.
> gmake: ** [index.docbook.rtex] Erro 5
> /tmp/tpub-felipe-23083 is not removed
>
> I bet some one already asked about this here, but untill now I didn't
> find nothing that could generate this PDF file. Any idea or
> suggestion?

You can also find some relevant information here:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1802/kde/pdf-stuff/cmake-pdf-instructions.html
and, to a lesser extent, here (these instructions are a little out of date):
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1802/kde/pdf-stuff/pdf-instructions.html

I managed to beat dblatex into submission and get a passable version of the
pt_BR userguide in pdf:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~chri1802/kde/pdf-stuff/userguide_pt_BR.pdf
I replaced all the images with a stock one because I'm lazy. I also had to
modify the latex output from dblatex in the following two ways:
1. Change "\usepackage[portuguese]{babel}" to "\usepackage[portuges,english]
{babel}"
2. Remove the reference to "DBKIndItem" (on line 4000 or so).

(If you're not already familiar with dblatex, you can see a copy of the latex
output by passing dblatex the "-d" flag. It will then end its output
with "temporary directory /tmp/tmpXXXXXX not removed". You can then go
to /tmp/tmpXXXXXX and find the latex output. You'll need to source the
env_tex file first. Example:
# cd /tmp/tmpXXXXXX
# source env_tex
 (edit the .tex file)
# pdflatex index.docbook_tmp.tex

You can see that the output still has some problems. I notice straight away
that accented characters in the license link are incorrectly rendered, and
there are probably more problems that I wouldn't recognize. It would be great
if you could note them on the dblatex mailing list (you can find it from the
dblatex site - http://dblatex.sf.net). The maintainer is very responsive to
problems and feature requests. Just make sure you're using the latest
version - I created that pdf with dblatex 0.2.5, and there might be newer bug
fixes.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask,

Regards,
Phil