[kde-doc-english] New pest on the List

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at lincoln.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 29 19:45:46 CEST 2007

Hi Paul,

> I've just joined this list for a couple of reasons. The first is that I
> have time on my hands, an interest in writing (even technical writing).
> The second is that I've had an interesting time over the past week or so
> with the KDE menu and the menu editing tools in KDE.

Good to hear that you have an itch to scratch - it's the easiest way to get
started :-).

> One thing I've realised is that if I'm ever going to get the menu set up
> to my own satisfaction, is that I've got a lot to learn about the menu
> definition files (the base XML), menu merging and so on. It's sometimes
> said that the best way to learn something is to teach it to someone
> else, so writing a guide to configuring the KDE menu and maybe a help
> file for the KIOSK Admin tool I've currently got installed (where the
> help files all say "to be written") might be a good start.

Sounds like a good plan. Your idea of starting with a translation of the menu
spec into plain English is good. How we work is up to you - whatever works
with your routine, etc. But basically, just start writing, and send your work
to the list as often as you like for feedback. There's no need to learn
docbook for the moment - just write in plain text format, and we'll add the
necessary formatting and markup. If you want to send an outline before you
start, that's fine too.

> I have nothing against getting involved in documenting new KDE features
> and new applications at a later date, but right now I'd rather deal with
> an issue that's immediate for me - apparent holes in the documentation
> of KDE 3.5.5 that are giving me the irrits.
>
> Nervously yours,

If you have any questions, no matter how small, feel free to ask.

Regards,
Philip