[kde-doc-english] announcement

akousw at gmail.com akousw at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 13:08:52 CEST 2007

My name is Jeffrey, and I am a student.  I have a sufficient grasp of
English grammar that I actually corrected one of my professors in class, and
a grasp of the differences among, categorizations of, and basic theories
behind several programming languages.
I am interested in proof-reading for documentation, but do want to try to
write some more stuff about Koffice.
In particular, I would like to see or attempt a 'workbook' similar to the
'learn MS office' type books that I've had to use several times.  This would
really be beneficial to koffice, and I will (want to) attempt it if I can
find enough information about the suite.
I believe that some kind of work needs to be done to break new koffice users
of their M$ office expectations beyond emulation, the approach taken by OO.o
.
I have used mostly OO.o until about a year ago, when I discovered that
kword's frame-based design really is more powerful, and I don't just like
KDE becuase I can throw the panel across the screen: the technologies
whereon the kde and koffice systems are based are really unique: I have
never had control over the placement of the title bar on any other system.
But, using the koffice system seems to be really wierd because from my
"computer literacy" (ie learn M$ office) classes, I learned to expect
double-space to be C-2, not M-e, p, line-spacing=>2.
But, the OO.o idea of emulation doesn't seem to be very satisfactory
either.  OO.o is not Office, and I've even heard somewhere that it is Sun's
attempt at getting back at M$.
a project as unique as Koffice would be betrayed by emulation, and the
koffice2 concepts really wouldn't work with it either.  OO.o seems more
sophisticated and easier, but that is likely mostly because koffice is just
wierd to anyone using anything else.  I am also sure that
StarOffice/OpenOffice could be the best suite in the world if it applied
qt/kde/koffice concepts, like shapes and kparts, and were to put off the
emulation bit, but alas, it doesn't, and earns M$'s FUD concerning the FOSS
communities' affinity for copying M$ products.
But, Koffice not being a M$ clone, some kind of documentation is neccesary
to demonstrate how it is not a clone from the UI up to major concepts.  So,
instead of frames, I would start with files and simple editing, and maybe a
tour of how to do basic editing.
Anyway, I desire to proof-read documentation needing a greater amount of
correction, like attempts at documentation by foreigners, and some idea of
how to begin the workbook project mentioned above.  If I were to do it and
complete it, I intend to allow it to become a freely distributable ebook.