[kde-doc-english] KDE 4 "Todo"

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at lincoln.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 15 23:14:51 CET 2007

Hi,
In the aim of getting stuff done for KDE 4, I'm trying to come up with a docs
todo list. Here are the things I can think of:

1. Make meinproc and the rest of the toolchain work on trunk.
This *has to* be done before the release of KDE 4.0, but it's not required
immediately. In fact, I haven't checked the state of the toolchain in trunk.
Does anyone know whether it's working at all?

2. Make PDF generation work with cmake
This should be fairly easy, since it's basicaly done (for English at least).
It'll also need some basic modifications to khelpcenter, so you can actually
*view* the PDFs once you've made/installed them.

3. Investigate strigi for the doc search in khelpcenter
The current htdig thing doesn't really work, and strigi looks like it's going
to be the next big thing.

4. Do the new whatsthis help thing[1], although that's perhaps slightly
tangential to the docs team, and requires a fair amount of coding.

5. Screenshot automation/recording
Sander has been working on this, so I'll leave it to him to comment

Firstly, are there any changes to this? Can anyone think of something we
must/should/can do with the docs for KDE 4? Are any of the ideas unrealistic
or not necessary?

Secondly, is anyone working on any of these, or planning to work on them? I'll
probably try to work on them in roughly the order I've given, although I
certainly won't have time to do all of the tasks. Once we've decided what we
definitely want done, and who's able to work on things, we can think about
advertising more widely for help.

Any other comments or suggestions are of course welcome :-).

Regards,
Philip

1. http://www.userbrain.de/whatsthis/ideas_whatsthis_january06_v1.3.pdf