[kde-doc-english] KDE DocBook documents

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at lincoln.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 22:42:25 CEST 2007

Hi Christian,

> I am working with a University research project that deals with automated
> verification of semi-structured data.
<snip>
> Would it be possible for
> us to use the KDE docbook documents for this purpose (purely scientific)?
> I've had a look at svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdebase/doc,
> and the documents seem complex, well-written, well-maintained, and (in
> total) quite large. So they could be very useful to us. As a bonus for you,
> we might actually catch a few inconsistencies that the human eye has missed
> so far.

This project sounds very interesting. You're free and welcome to use the KDE
documentation in any way that's consistent with the licence, which is the GNU
FDL. It's basically a "GPL for documentation", so for internal use, you're
pretty much free to use the docs how you like.

You might also like to mention your project on the kde-quality at kde.org mailing
list, where there are some other people who are interested in KDE quality
issues, including automated testing. There's also the EBN at
www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org , where we have some tools that do automated
testing of the KDE docs. They don't work very much at the high-level
structure level, so perhaps don't overlap very much with what you're doing.

Hope that helps, and if you have any questions, just ask. I'd also like to
hear how the research goes, since it seems interesting :-).

Regards,
Philip