[kde-doc-english] Why isn't any tag allowed which results in a pagebreak? i.e. <part>?

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at lincoln.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 00:14:16 CEST 2007

Hi Michael,

> I'm wondering why there isn't any other tag then <sect1> allowed which
> results in a page break?

In principle, it's because docbook provides a strict separation between
content and presentation, so the idea is that when writing, you only need to
think about the content of what you're writing, and not how it will appear.

That works very well, but the choice of where to split pages in HTML is one of
the things that is hard to get right automatically. If someone is feeling
adventurous, they could try writing the necessary XSL to use a processing
instruction in the docbook to generate a page break. I mean, something like
this:

<para>Some text in the document</para>
<?dbhtml pagebreak>
<para>Some other text</para>

If someone's interested in trying this, drop me a line, and I can probably
tell you where to start looking.

> I for example would love to use the <part> tag(which is really usefull
> imho), to explain different tabs on different pages, which is much better
> to look at.
>
> So why not allowing <part> again? I heard in the past it was allowed too.

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of <part> - it's a division of a
document which comes above <chapter> (ie, the hierarchy is
part,chapter,sect1,sect2,...). We use it in the KDE User Guide. I'm not sure
if it's used anywhere else though.

Regards,
Philip