[kde-doc-english] Content for reviewing

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Sat Sep 2 17:52:30 CEST 2006

On Saturday 02 September 2006 6:48 am, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone have time to review and mark up the following from Javier
> Martin Diez? It's a section about KWallet to go in the User Guide.

I haven't changed anything substantive.  It's complete to my knowledge, and I
checked for accuracy.  I fixed some punctuation and changed some wording for
what I thought were awkward sentences, and I clarified the instructions for
hiding the tray icon.

Rocco

---

Kcontrol - Security & Privacy module

        Here you can change your KDE Wallet Manager settings.

        KDE Wallet aims to provide secure storage for passwords and web
form data.
You can group different passwords in different wallets, and each one will
only be opened with a master password (which you should never forget!). The
default wallet is named "kdewallet", and you can either create a new wallet
for your local passwords or accept the default wallet for all data in
the "Automatic Wallet Selection" section.

        KDE programs like Konqueror, Kmail and Kopete are fully compatible
with the
KDE Wallet Manager. All of them will ask at least once for permission to
access to actual wallet. You can give different access levels, such
as "always allow", "allow once", etc. If you want to change that access
level, you can do it from the "Access Control" tab by deleting the program
entry and selecting a new preference the next time that application
requests access to the wallet.

        kwalletmanager will run with a session id argument, for example:

                kwalletmanager -session
1068616c0000112366941500000054267019_1156894643_7217

        Disable KDE Wallet

                Uncheck "Enable the KDE wallet subsystem" checkbox.

        Close KDE Wallet

                By default, KDE Wallet Manager is kept opened until the
user session is
closed, but you can change that in the "Close Wallet section" to close it
when unused for a time, when a screen saver starts or when the last
application stops using it.

        System Tray

                KDE Wallet will appear in your system tray by default, but
you can hide it.   Uncheck "Show manager in the system tray" to keep it always
hidden, or check "Hide system tray icon when last wallet closes" to hide it
only when all wallets are closed.  These items are in the "Wallet Manager"
section.