[kde-doc-english] -wiki like khelp system

Adrian Jadic jadic at dallnet.net
Mon Oct 30 12:45:20 CET 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 22:30, Jes Hall wrote:
> The edit function planned allows you to just click 'edit' on a webpage.
> Have a look at www-devel.kde.org for an example.
>
> JH.

This sounds great!

And in regards to the other mail. I do understand that you don't have time and
I did not mean to complain or criticise anyone. I am just trying to help
kde-docs by supporting a method in which more non-programmers can help in
their spare time. i think if we will manage to do this whether through the
Wiki or the edit function we will only better the KDE documentation.

For me the Wiki seems good for now. I just have to get on to it. There may be
some formatting limitations but I will limit myself to what the Wiki can do.

And I do agree with the concerns about uncontrolled editing. I am wondering if
controlling who has edit rights may help. In any case I understand the
limitations of the wiki and incompatibility with the current khelp system.

And to further explain my problem:
Yes, I can send documentation to the list but I found that as I get into the
manual I always go back to previous chapters and re-edit or change a logical
structure or even delete redundant stuff. So I realized that I cannot just
send the manual piece by piece as I will always have to bother the docbooker
with edits and we are just doing more work on each side. So I decided to
finish the manual before I submit it for docbooking to save "yalls" time. (as
they say here in the US south).
This sounds fine but I found that, now, I am faced with a much bigger task and
it gets discouraging. Plus, nobody can use what I have done so far even if it
is not perfect.
This was the point of view from which I was supporting a wiki system. But I
have to say that the edit one sounds even better. Hope it also works fine.

Let us know when the edit function becomes available.

And hey, a little debate now and then is useful! We get to understand each
others concerns better. Important is that we are well-intended.

Cheers,
Adrian