[kde-doc-english] KDE: Documentation (Quanta, Konqueror, others)

J. S. FedoraCore at centrewebdesign.com
Fri Nov 24 12:52:22 CET 2006

Hi Lauri,

Thank you for your involvement with KDE! It's a really great desktop
environment, and I'm pleased to have the opportunity to communicate with
you as a representative of KDE development.

I've been using GNU/Linux -> Fedora Core 5 since late May of this year.
I started out w/ Gnome, as one unknowing would do, considering it's
simply the way the FC5 installer is setup. Fortunately for me, I opted
to install both KDE and Gnome, and finally ventured into experimentation
with KDE a few weeks into my trials with Linux / Fedora. A bit
unimpressed, if not frustrated with the way Gnome manages the
environment-- in particular the File Management through "Nautilus"
(primarily in that, while navigating through the Filesystem, every new
folder selection actually opens a /new /window, resulting in multiple
windows cluttering the Desktop), I was ecstatic to find that KDE is
remarkably more user-friendly than Gnome, specifically Konqueror's
seamless integration with the O/S as File Manager / multi-purpose user/
system interface, intuitive in application while remaining familiar
enough for me as a Windows XPatrtiot that I found myself becoming
comfortable with my new O/S more rapidly, and with greater confidence.
(blah, blah...)

Anyway-- I'm contacting you about my interest in helping to author, or
edit, KDE User Manual / Web-accessible documentation or, in general, any
written material needed by KDE development. I first recognized, with all
due respect and understanding, the apparent deficiency in authorship
while reading some of the Quanta Plus docs. While the practical is
basically served, the text tends to be incomplete, or even not well
formatted at times. I'm confident that I could take the existing
documentation, rewrite those sections for which I have sufficient
knowledge to amend any errors, and even venture to author that essential
material which might have yet to be documented at all.

My education background is in English, as I hold a degree in Secondary
Curriculum and Instruction: English (i.e. he's supposed to be a school
teacher, but decided to be a hobbyist programmer/ performing musician
instead-- as anyone w/ half-a-brain should agree is the more adventurous
course for a free-thinker...hehe). I consider myself to be knowledgeable
about "computers", although I do not have any formal training. My most
relevant position held would have been as Web / Database developer for
Penn State University's College of Science Education (note my name:
http://csats.psu.edu/directory.htm ).

I'd love to help if i can, but I'm afraid I don't know where to begin.
My best efforts-- and KDE's most rapid benefit, would probably result if
i were to take existing documentation and edit it for a more
reader-friendly purpose-- even doc. yet to be published in any form. In
general, anything that which needs editing.  I'm want to help KDE
Documentation team as much as I am able, however my general Users'
knowledge of the material should be considered. If I were more of an
expert, I'd offer to author material, but i'm afraid I might not be
qualified for that particular task. If any developers record their
documentation in voice rather than written, I'm willing to transcribe
audio to written docs as well.

I look forward to hearing from you. For a sample of my writing, you
might reference NoviceNotes.net -- a web log I author. The blog is
nothing spectacular, but I consider it to be a fair reflection of my
work (sans spelling and grammatical errors which may or may not be
present there).

Regards,
Jeffrey Sabarese
State College, PA, USA
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreysabarese
--
Centre Web Design thanks you for your business