[kde-doc-english] Removable Devices

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Fri Feb 17 09:38:15 CET 2006

On Friday 17 February 2006 01:31, Edward Haven wrote:
I have some comments:

> Removable Disks
> For KDE to read any disk, removable or not, the disk must first be mount.
I would write: "access" instead of read, and mounted (and change mount for
mounted where appropriate for the rest of the article)

> When a device is mount it can then be read, it gives KDE all the needed
> information about the device, how to read it, how to write information to
> it, and much more.
> Now that we have an understanding of what mounting is lets see how to mount
> a device.  First know defining a device is controlled by the operating
> system and it is important your operating system has tools for managing
> these devices. KDE can also auto mount devices, working with HAL (Hardware
> Abstraction Layer).
This part is a little tricky, how about changing it like this:

Once a device is mounted, KDE can access all the information about the device,
such as how to read it, how to write information to it, and more.
Mounting a device is controlled by the tools provided by your operating
system.  On some operating systems KDE can automount devices itself, with HAL
(Hardware Abstraction Layer)

<snip larger part, which is mostly ready to go, other than some minor editing>

> If your system does not automount KDE is configure to mount and unmount
> deivce which the current user have permision to mount. If a divce is mount
> as root(ie the root partion), and you login to KDE as a user, KDE can not
> mount or umount it, without being given a higher permission. To cheek a
> devices mount premission see the /etc/fstab file.
> To mount and unmount devices manually in KDE one only has to right click
It's easier to read, and easier to translate, if you remove clauses like: "one
has to".  Compare:
In KDE one only has to right click the...
Right click the ...
(We know they are in KDE, or they wouldn't be reading KDE documentation!)

> the device icon in media:/ or on the desktop and select mount/unmount, for
> removable devices one can also unmount with remove device safty. KDE still
> requires the device to be setup in /etc/fstab.

There are some other grammatical mishaps, and spelling errors, but for a first
try, it's very nice.

I presume this is for the user guide which is missing this info:
( http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/userguide/multimedia.html#removable-disks )?
If it's OK with you that I make the corrections above, I will mark this up
and add it to the User Guide.

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org