[kde-doc-english] KDE 4 Brainstorming

Birger Kollstrand birger.kollstrand at losmail.no
Tue Apr 4 22:05:06 CEST 2006

Tuesday 04 April 2006 19:17, skrev Allen Winter:
> man pages, created and installed by default.
> <duck>
smash
<swing>

Well I'm not a contributor to the doc project ,but I like to keep informed
what is going on here. I am trying to be more involved in promo.

Good documentation is a very important aspect when promoting. The best
features in the world will not reach a big audience if it's not well
documented.

If you want more people involved in documentation then you need to have a plan
for it.
1. What documentation is needed? man pages, video tutorials,  wizards showing
the user what happens, wiki like searchable docs??? When someone asks for a
job, assign them to an area and tell them that they are needed ther. People
feel good about beeing needed. Don't just say, "find something you like".
That is the fallback.
2. For KDE4 : focus. It might be necesary to ask for a single language release
for 4.0 and add tranlastions in an update release? (By the way I'm
Norwegain :-)  )
3.  Advertise for people to be involved on selected channels, but don't do it
if there is not a system in place that is easy enough for ANY user to use it.
4. Get something to show pretty fast when you have a stucture and plan to
follow, it is much easier to discuss from something than from nothing.

Regards Birger