[kde-doc-english] Local entities

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon May 23 08:38:17 CEST 2005

On Friday 20 May 2005 01.14, Éric Bischoff wrote:
> Hi Lauri,
>

> I have a question.
>
> When there is a local entity in some KDE documentation, for example
> &dataeditor;, what are the French translators supposed to do?
>
> 1) replace all occurences with "éditeur de données"
> or
> 2) change definition of &dataeditor; with something like
> <!ENTITY dataeditor "éditeur de données">
>
> If 1), it's a bit of an annoyance for the translators.
>
> If 2), where should that happen (in which file ?), given that the
> translated XML file are overwritten automatically from time to time ?
>
> (Sorry in advance if that has already been said 138 times.)

Heh, dude, you helped us come up with it, especially so we could deal with the
LMB/RMB grammar issues in French :)

I missed you asking this here, but I hope you saw the answer on kde-i18n-doc
(cc'ing there, I think the fact that this *specific* one is more problematic
than normal got lost in all the noise.)

 To really clarify, these entities *should* go into en/user.entities, and then
yes, you can use 2 and override them. But KOffice has to build on the stable
KDE, and so this is really a bug that can't be fixed yet, since moving the
entity now would make the doc fail entirely on a stable kdelibs.

Maybe it's a kbabel wishlist item, to be able to look these up more
conveniently (tell where they came from, emacs can do that :) and/or
autoreplace them on demand (either with a local version, or simply expanding
them in place.)

In any case, fr/user.entities is all yours, and if such entities internal to
docs are pointed out as problematic early enough, I can move them to
en/user.entities, in which case you can then override it in fr/user.entities
or not, as you wish.   That wouldn't have solved this one though, since it
still hits the "has to build on previous release" issue, so i'd have to have
known about it before KDE 3.4 went out.

For 3.5, I will make sure to run through the docs at freeze time, and move all
the entities still left in docs.

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org