[kde-doc-english] kde documentation

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at christ-church.oxford.ac.uk
Sun May 15 21:09:46 CEST 2005

Hi Aris,
Thanks for your offer of help. We're always on the lookout for new
contributors, so you're very welcome.

You mention that you're new with KDE - that's fine, and might even be an
advantage for some things, so don't feel that lack of experience is a
problem. We have some very experienced KDE users on the Docs Team, who are
always happy to help with any problems you run into while documenting.

Our main list of open tasks is on the KDE bug tracking system at bugs.kde.org.
You can search for bugs in the 'docs' product to see what tasks are
available. You can find quick links to the results of this search at:
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/current.php
(see the section "Open Jobs in the bugs database").

If you find something in the bugs database that you'd like to work on, tell us
at kde-doc-english, and we'll help you get going.

If you can't find anything in the bugs database that you like, tell us that
too, and we'll help you to find something else :-).

One other thing that you might be interested in is the new User Guide for the
whole of KDE. You can read it online at
http://docs.kde.org/en/HEAD/kdebase/userguide/ . As a new KDE user, you might
like to look through the User Guide and make a note of anything that you
would find helpful that's missing, or anything that is not explained simply
enough for a beginner, etc. If you'd like to do that, get back to us, and
we'll work out the best way to co-ordinate.

Also, here are some resources that you might find useful:

The kde-doc-english mailing list. You should subscribe to the list, which you
can do at https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-doc-english . This is the
main place to discuss anything to do with KDE documentation, ask for help,
and so on.

We have an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net at #kde-docs. I go by the nickname
PhilRod, and several other members of the docs team are frequently there.

The main guide for new writers is the Documentation Primer, located at
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/doc-primer . There's no need to read all of it, but
take a look at the first few chapters, and put it in your bookmarks :-).

If there's anything you're not sure about, just ask. We'll be happy to
help :-).

Once again, welcome - looking forward to working with you,
Phil