[kde-doc-english] A note about right and left (was Addition to kcalc manual)

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Tue Jul 19 22:28:50 CEST 2005

On Monday 18 July 2005 17.02, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> Something like this is missing from the kcalc manual.
> Probably an extra page called "Memory operations" or something similar.

Thanks Roberto.  Committed with a small modification so I'm going to use this
as an opportunity to hang a reminder onto the list:

When translating, the translators often get text out of context, and in
general translate very literally.  Bear that in mind when writing about
*where* on the screen things are, since Right is not always Right, when the
app is running in a Right-To-Left language.

Up/Down and Top/Bottom are pretty safe, I don't think we have any languages
that read Bottom-to-Top, but try to avoid saying something is "on the right".

(We really should avoid talking about Left and Right mouse button clicks, to
accomodate left handed users, but that becomes darn near impossible with so
many apps overloading them so much.  Do try though.)

As for the KCalc update, it'll be on docs.kde.org within a day or two, and
searchable by Saturday, Rainer tells me.

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org