[kde-doc-english] KDE DocBook Sanitizer

Frerich Raabe frerich at hex.athame.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 04:20:43 CEST 2005

Moin,

during the last two or three weeks I ocassionally worked on a W3C-style
validator/sanitizer for KDE manuals. You can see what I have at
http://people.fruitsalad.org/frerich/sanitizer

It's really easy - just feed it some markup (either by telling it an URL
which references a file to check, by uploading a file from your computer,
or by pasting a piece of markup into an input field on that page) and it'll
look at it, executing various checks. Checks, such as whether your
manual ha sall the necessary stuff for it to be translateable (so that xml2po
does not choke), whether you used the preferred forms of words which were
agreed on (think email vs. e-mail) and whether there are more cases in which
you could have used entities. This hopefully improves the overall quality
of the markup, it's meant to polish your stuff so that it shines. :-)

If you maintain a KDE manual, you might find it useful to bookmark a link
such as
http://people.fruitsalad.org/frerich/sanitizer/check.py?uri=http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/branches/KDE/3.5/kdegraphics/doc/kpovmodeler/index.docbook
which opens the sanitizer and shows what it has to say about your manual as
it's stored in KDE's SVN repository (in that example, it's KPovModeler's
manual).

This service just went Beta, which means - I implemented all the stuff I
wanted to, now it's time for some larger group of people to use it and
give feedback. I'm inviting you people to give it a try, and use it for some
time. Please tell me anything which comes to your mind when using it,
like - could the presentation be improved? Is there a bug or did something
not work as expected? Did it complain about correct markup? Are there other
checks which could be added to the testsuite? It's currently in the beta
phase, as in - I have implemented everything I wanted, now it's time.

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

- Frerich

P.S.: Just to make that particular point clear: I did not write nor do I
maintain the dictionary that page uses when suggessting preferred words. If
you think it gives a wrong suggestion or so, please say so on this mailinglist,
so that a possible change to the dictionary can be discussed.