[kde-doc-english] more FAQ additions

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 21 04:11:10 CEST 2004

hi...

another FAQ addition? this time for how to enabled more than one user to login
(aka "quick user switching")... it's getting asked about semi-regularly ...
thanks ....

==========
To enable more than one user to log in at one time on the same computer
(sometimes referred to as "quick user switching") you need to tell the
program that logs you in that it can use more than one session (or, in X
Window terms, "display") at a time. In KDE, this program is called KDM which
stands for "KDE Display Manager". If you are not using KDM as your login
screen then you will need to consult the documentation for that software on
how to accomplish multiple sessions.

If you are using KDM, then locate the file called XServers that is in a kdm
folder. This is most likely in `kde-config
--prefix`/share/config/kdm/XServers, though some vendors put it in the /etc
directory. Open this file in a text editor (you will most likely need to be
root to do this) and find the entry that looks like this:

 :0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp -br vt7

Beneath that line add one or more entries like this:

 :1 local at tty2 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp -br :1 vt8
 :2 local at tty3 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp -br :2 vt9
 :3 local at tty4 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp -br :3 vt10

Each of entry enables one additional session to be started. After saving this
file, you will have to restart the X Window server. The easiest way to do
this is log out of KDE and from the login (KDM) screen select "Restart X
Server" from the Options menu. After logging into KDE again, the log out and
screensaver password dialogs should have a "Start New Session" entry.

(Note, I'm not certain if the "Restart X Server" and Options menu strings are
correct. I'm doing this from memory, please double check for me as I don't
have a kdm nearby right now.. eek.)

--
Aaron J. Seigo