[kde-doc-english] Welcome Pack for Doc contributors (draft)

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Sat Sep 4 22:59:53 CEST 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 15.15, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi all,
> Based on discussions at aKademy, I've put together this draft of a welcome
> pack which we can send to people offering to help with KDE documentation.
> You can find the rationale for most of the decisions I've made at
> http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Documentation+Team+Ideas . I guess
> that the quality teams might want to make some changes and additions if
> using this in the context of QT...
>
> Questions, suggestions, mistakes, etc?

As we discussed on IRC, I think it's great, but maybe needs to be a bit
shorter.  Some suggestions inline below (if anyone else has suggestions,
please speak up!)

> ------BEGIN------
> Hi,
> Thanks for your offer to help with KDE documentation - we're glad to
> welcome you onto the team!
>
> If there's a particular application or document that you'd like to work on,
> that's great! Just tell us what it is, and we can put you in touch with the
> right people to get started straight away.
>
> If you're not sure what you'd like to work on, that's no problem. We have
> tasks which are simple and easy for beginners, through to longer and
> slightly more difficult jobs. This is a volunteer project, so we won't tell
> you that you *must* work on something, but to help you narrow down on
> something you'd enjoy, we've divided the available tasks into four
> categories. Take a look at them, and if you'd like to work on one category
> in particular, tell us here at kde-doc-english at kde.org/kde-quality at kde.org,
> and we can find a task that suits you:
>
> 1. Writing new content for application manuals
> 2. Updating content/proofreading for application manuals
> 3. Writing content for general KDE documentation, like the User Guide or
> the Glossary
> 4. Non-writing things: taking screenshots, dealing with docs.kde.org,
> dealing with the XML tools used to generate documentation, programming
> stuff to automate, for example, screenshot generation.
>
> We also have a lot of resources that you'll use when writing documentation:
>
> The main reference for everything docs-related is the KDE Documentation
> Primer, which you can find online at http://i18n.kde.org/doc/doc-primer .
> This should walk you through everything you need to know to get up to speed
    This should walk you through everything you need to know
> on writing docs for KDE, but be aware that it's still a work-in-progress.
    to write docs for KDE.  Since it's still a work-in-progress, and errors
and omissions should be directed to kde-doc-english at kde.org
> If you find any errors or omissions or bits that don't make sense, please
> tell us at kde-doc-english at kde.org.

Actually, being a natural waffler myself, I am finding it hard to trim this :)

Maybe it's not so long as I first thought. :)

Regards
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org