[kde-doc-english] Re: [RFC] KOffice documentation

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Sep 2 19:12:14 CEST 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 18.25, Marc Heyvaert wrote:

> In fact exactly what I'm doing for the moment. I have
> already updated the KOffice Handbook (still waiting
> for some feedback regarding 2 minor matters from you
> Lauri).

Yes, I have finally (nearly) caught up from a weeks worth of mail, you should
have answers on those right before this one.

> I'm planning to do the rest as well. But my time is a
> limited resource. So within these time constraints
> this is what I can do and plan to do the following
> months for KOffice.
>
> 1. Go through all the handbooks and check them for
> consistency with the GUI and make the necessary
> corrections;

I've found, if I go through and make a list of what's wrong, and do the
updates at the same time, it tends to take a very long time.  If I go through
and make a list of discrepancies, and then go back and fix them, it ends up
being much quicker.  Strange but true, and I think Phil has the same
experience :)

In any case, if you want to do this, and file bugs, perhaps we can share the
work (there are quite some open bugs on known issues to fix already.)

> 2. Update the screenshots;
>
> 3. Add more screenshots when I feel that the handbook
> needs it.

For 2 and 3, there is now a very nice script you can run with kdeexecutor, so
you only have to set up the screenshots once.  After that, it will retake
them in multiple languages, and if you need to redo them (for instance,
because the default styles changed) you can simply run the script again.
Very nice, and I will dig through my notes and post about it under a separate
topic so nobody misses it.

> 4. Translate the whole lot into dutch (I've already
> finished the KOffice handbook)

You're already working with the dutch translation team, right?

> As for my project to make a 'longer' KSpread
> Handbook...I've put that on the backburner as I feel
> that I should focus on the whole of KOffice to help
> the entire suite forward (=get more users) and I think
> that we really don't need another handbook in the same
> style as the ones that exist (but longer) but rather a
> couple of 'hands-on' chapters,
> 'how-do-I-achieve-this-with-KOffice stuff really that
> could be added to the existing handbooks.

Yes! While a complete handbook would be great, eventually, I think this is a
very good way to move forward for the short term.  Writing an entire manual
on the scale of a spreadsheet application is a long and lonely work, we've
been heading the same way with other documents lately, making shorter task
based sections in order to

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org