[kde-doc-english] Re: Entry for doc competition

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at christ-church.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Oct 23 09:56:25 CEST 2004

Hi Richard,

> Here is my entry for the docs competition - a tutorial introducing
> kstart and ksystraycmd for chapter 20 'cusomizing KDE'. I'm mailing
> it in docbook and html rather than text to save you converting it.

I'm in the process of merging the competition entries into the user guide, and
I'm looking at the best way to fit your entry into the existing outline. I
think the discussion of the NET WM spec is a little too technical for the
user guide, so I'd leave it out or put it in an advanced section, and I might
change the placing of the kstart and ksystraycmd sections.

The way I'd like to proceed is as follows: I'll merge your content in  the way
I've outlined above, and send you a copy of the result to check. If you're
happy with that ordering, we can leave it like that. If not, we can discuss
it and hopefully iterate towards the best possible solution :-). You will, of
course, get full credit for all of your content.

How does that sound to you?

> On a related note, I've found a great (free) tool for writing docbook
> that is well worth a look http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/ it is java
> so it is available on all our platforms.

Ah, yes. Lauri pointed that out to me recently. I'll have to take a look at it
sometime. Would you like to write an introduction to using it for the doc
primer (http://i18n.kde.org/doc/doc-primer)? It would only need to be very
basic, outlining setting it up and the simplest uses.

Regards,
Philip
Online KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org