[kde-doc-english] Re: Problem compiling KDE Base 3.2.1

Kuas ku4s at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 14 07:13:54 CET 2004

Thanks for the reply. I have more question now.

> Please read and answer all the questions I asked here:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=107629220118949&w=2

I have checked the correspondence. I still have a few questions. It
doesn't really seem the same with my problem, the way I see it. Please
continue below.

> This problem is usually due to two (or more) copies of KDE on the system and
> either$KDEDIR being set incorrectly, or the path being wrong.  The solution
> is usually to set $KDEDIR to your *NEW* KDE location, and put that in the
> beginning of your path, so that $KDEDIR/bin is picked up first, and the new
> version of meinproc is the one that will be run.

I notice that I am not using the meinproc and checkXML in
./kdedev/kde-unstable/bin but was using the one in /usr/bin. And I
checked the kdelibs compilation log again.  Found this:

------- start kdelibs compile log -------------
:
checking for meinproc... compiled
:
fast creating kdoctools/checkXML
:
: <then>
You're missing bzip2 development files.
KDE won't be able to provide a help ioslave (help://) without it,
so if you want helpfiles you should consider installing it.
Have a look at http://sources.redhat.com/bzip2/ for sources,
or find a binary package for your platform.

You're missing libxslt 1.0.7 or later.
KDE won't be able to provide a help ioslave (help://) without it,
so if you want helpfiles you should consider installing it.
Have a look at ftp://xmlsoft.org/ for sources, or find a binary
package for your platform.
You can find a copy of libxslt in the kdesupport module if you're using CVS.

You're missing CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) support.
If you want CUPS support, please install CUPS from http://www.cups.org
or the development packages of your distribution.
--------------------- end log ------------

I didn't know that we have to have bzip2 development packages. I do have
bzip2 (v. 1.0.2-8) installed, libxslt (libxslt-1.0.33-0.ximian.6.1), and
cups (qtcups-2.0-15, cups-libs-1.1.17-13.3.0.3,
cups-drivers-2.0.2-15.ximian.6.2, libgnomecups-0.1.6-0.ximian.6.2,
cups-drivers-hpijs-2.0.2-15.ximian.6.2,
gnome-cups-manager-0.16-0.ximian.6.4, cups-1.1.17-13.3.0.3,
gimp-print-cups-4.2.4-5).

I can understand the error for bzip2. But what is wrong with libxslt and
cups? Notice the ximian tag in the end of some packages, I used ximian
red-carpet manager to install packages before, they added those tags but
supposed to be the same package. I am going to replace them once I got
KDE working.

And the otherthing, it said meinproc is installed. I did 'find', but I
couldn't find any binary (they don't seem to be built, if they were they
should be in ./kde-unstable/bin or ./src/build/kdelibs):

./src/kde/build/kdelibs/kdoctools/.deps/meinproc.Po
./src/kde/kdebase/khelpcenter/htmlsearch/meinproc_wrapper
./src/kde/kdelibs/debian/man/meinproc.sgml
./src/kde/kdelibs/kdoctools/meinproc.cpp

For checkXML it, I found the executable script in build dir, but none
get installed in kde-unstable dir:

./src/kde/build/kdelibs/kdoctools/checkXML
./src/kde/kdelibs/debian/man/checkXML.sgml
./src/kde/kdelibs/kdoctools/checkXML.in

I don't see if the link above would fix the problems. But I will install
bzip2 devel and see if it does. Please let me know if there is any other
suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Kuas.