[kde-doc-english] problem

sunamra sunamra at sancharnet.in
Fri Feb 27 17:27:28 CET 2004

I have a PC that comprises a Pentium 4, 1.5 GHz, 256 MB SDRAM, Intel 845GLLY mother board and 40 GB Hard drive. Modem is internal, i.e. Generic SoftK56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP.  Win98se is in C:, Winxp  in D:, Multimedia in E:, Installers in F: and 6.5 GB space is given for Red Hat 9.0 (hda8 and swap in hda9). Recently I installed Fedora core. My problem is as I am new in the field of Linux that
1. I am unable to install modem drivers in Red Hat as well as Fedora although I have linux drivers for modem.How I can find vendoe ID and Device ID of PCI modem? Please explain complete procedure for the same. Readme file is as follows.
2. I want that linux should load through window boot loader. Gurb is boot loader for linux. As my computer does not shut down using Gurb loader.
Copyright © 2000-2001 by Conexant Systems.

All rights reserved.

1         Introduction
2         Highlights of Version V4.06.00
  a.. This is the Beta release of SoftK56 modem driver for Linux
  b.. Supports multiple countries
  c.. Supports PCI Discrete DAA, SmartHSF, HSFi and Intel SmartMC platforms.
  d.. This version is "Osspecific independent" package - meaning that you can install it on almost every kernel version.
3         Driver Installation
  1.. Log as root on the target Linux machine

  2.. Find out the Vendor ID and Device ID of the PCI modem used and remember them

  3.. Copy the modem driver package file to the directory where you wish to extract it

  4.. Extract the modem driver files from tar file
tar -xpvzf <tar-file-name>

This creates under the current directory the directory having the same name as the <tar-file-name> file, but without the .tar.gz suffix and extracts all files into it.

Example:

tar -xpvzf HSFLinuxV40600.tar.gz

creates the  HSFLinuxV40600 directory and extract modem driver files into it.

  5.. Change directory to the newly created directory
Example:

cd  HSFLinuxV40600

  6.. Update the Vendor ID and Device ID in the .inf file corresponding to the modem board used:
      Modem platform
     INF file name
     Comment

      HSF Discrete DAA
     linux_hsf.inf

      SmartHSF
     Linux_smarthsf.inf

      HSFi
     linux_hsfi.inf

      Intel SmartMC
     linux_intel_smartmc.inf

Check the list of the Microsoft Windows style PnP strings under the [Generic] section and if no string corresponds to your PCI modem Vendor ID and Device ID, add the appropriate string to the [Generic] section.

Example:

If the Vendor ID is 1234 and the Device ID is 5678, add the line in red to the [Generic] section. The SUBSYS part is redundant for Linux modem drivers and can be omitted:

[Generic]

%HSFModem%  = ModemX, PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2013&SUBSYS_201314F1

%HSFModem%  = ModemX, PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2014&SUBSYS_201414F1

%HSFModem%  = ModemX, PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2015&SUBSYS_201514F1

%HSFModem%  = ModemX, PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2016&SUBSYS_201614F1

%HSFModem%  = ModemX, PCI\VEN_1234&DEV_5678

  7.. Read the README file in order to use the right installation script: This release was compiled for kernel 2.4.0 and kernel 2.4.2, in case you run on a machine with one of these kernel versions (uname -r), copy the 3 modules from the sub-directory with your kernel name (i.e. kernel2.4.0) and run ins_all. If you run on a different kernel version, run ins_all_os. The 3 OsSpecific dependent modules will be created on your current directory. Next time you can run ins_all only (The ins_all_os should be ran only once).
4         Country/Region Support
HSF Linux modem driver contains support for several countries/regions.

Currently Linux modem driver has support for the following countries/regions:

      Country/Region
     T.35 code

      (hexadecimal)

      Australia
     09

      Austria
     0A

      Belgium
     0F

      Canada
     20

      China
     26

      Czech
     2E

      Denmark
     31

      Finland
     3C

      France
     3D

      Germany
     42

      Greece
     46

      Hong Kong
     50

      Hungary
     51

      Iceland
     52

      India
     53

      Indonesia
     54

      Ireland
     57

      Israel
     58

      Italy
     59

      Japan
     00

      Korea
     61

      Luxembourg
     69

      Malaysia
     6C

      Mexico
     73

      Netherlands
     7B

      New Zealand
     7E

      Norway
     82

      Philippines
     89

      Portugal
     8B

      Singapore
     9C

      South Africa
     9F

      Spain
     A0

      Sweden
     A5

      Switzerland
     A6

      Taiwan
     FE

      Thailand
     A9

      UK
     B4

      USA
     B5

The default country is set to USA.

To change country/region before modem installation (just before the first install) run from the directory to where modem driver package was extracted

perl hsf_linstall.pl -c <country name/country id>

To get the help message use

perl hsf_linstall.pl -h

Sunamra

sunamra at sancharnet.in