[kde-doc-english] HEADS UP: New User Guide going into kdebase

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Dec 16 19:42:03 CET 2004

Hi all,

The KDE user guide currently in kdenonbeta/doc/userguide-tng will be moved
into kdebase - we propose to make the move on the 26th of December.

Everything currently in kdebase/doc/userguide will be replaced with the
content of kdenonbeta/doc/userguide-tng

This is a *very* big document, and it's a complete rewrite - there is some
text shared with other KDE docs, which will give a head start, but there is
none shared with the existing User Guide.  I'm warning everyone now, because
if you have a nearly complete translation of the existing user guide, you
might want to finish it before we do the switch so your work is not lost.  If
you have time, you might want to look over what's in kdenonbeta already,
since we will also be using the next week to proofread and correct.

To preempt the obvious questions everyone has, here's a recap of the whys and
hows.
* Why is this a complete rewrite and not re-using the old content?
Parts of the old user guide are licensed differently from other parts, and it
is no longer possible to contact all the copyright holders to sort out the
issues  - and there is (rather strong) disagreement between the ones we can
reach as to what licenses are acceptable.  In other words, we *can* *not*
reuse the old content without simply causing more problems in the future -
this was done on purpose, and not just to annoy everyone.

* How important is this document?
The new user guide is intended to be *the* first point of reference for all
user questions.  It's highly task based, covers the entire desktop (and then
some) and may eventually preempt a lot of the content now in the specific
user manuals.  Consider it a first run at the future of KDE documentation.

I suggest for i18n teams new to translating documentation, if you only
translate one single document, make it this one.

Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org