[kde-doc-english] Updates to existing documents

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Tue Apr 27 17:15:59 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 14.24, Bernd Pol wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 27. April 2004 12:08 schrieb Brad Hards:
> > I just realised that I haven't updated the <date> and <releaseinfo>
> > elements. Should these be updated for every commit, or for major
> > releases / rewrites?

Try to remember to update the date whenever you change anything, but nobody is
going to give you too much grief

> > For changes like the one above, is the next <releaseinfo> after
> > 1.10.00, 1.11.00 or 1.10.01?

Good question :)

> AFAIK the release info concerns the application release the docs refer
> to, while the date is the date of the last doc change.

> Did I understand this right?

Exactly.

Releaseinfo (and the date) used to be used by the i18n.kde.org scripts for
reporting but this is no longer the case so the restrictions on format (the
evil padding with 0's) is now relaxed too.  So you can make it 1.1, which is
a lot easier to figure out what comes next (kpresenter --version will tell
you too :)

For the dates though, we hit l10n issues, so we're sticking with the ISO
format, (YYYY-MM-DD) so everyone can be equally confused (other than us here
in Sweden, where that's the normal way to write a date anyway :)

I'm joking of course, it *is* the only one that is immediately understandable
and virtually impossible to misread, even if you've never seen it before,
whereas D-M-Y vs M-D-Y has a pretty even chance of being taken wrong.

As far as revisions of the doc itself, CVS revision numbers pretty much covers
that for us.

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/