[kde-doc-english] Re: Kontact documentation

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at christ-church.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Apr 23 14:36:37 CEST 2004

Hi Antonio,

> Second of all, were I to ask for committing or for proofreading or
> something similar, would I attach the docbook file, a tgz file with the
> docbook and images, a tgz file with the docbook, images, and html, or would
> I upload it to a server and point people on this mailing list there?

If you've made new screenshots, then send a tgz with the docbook and the
images. If it's quite large, then upload it somewhere to save people having
to download the whole thing. If there are no new screenshots, just attach the
docbook file.

> Third of all, how would I go about committing my work directly to CVS? That
> part is more for a bit later on, when I'm more familiar with the process.

Once you're familiar with writing, you can apply for a cvs account (from
Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org , I think). Once you've done that, set CVSROOT
to :pserver:yourusername at cvs.kde.org:/home/kde and 'cvs login'. To add your
changes to CVS, use 'cvs commit file1 file2 ...' to add the changes you made
in file1, file2 and so on. You'll be asked for a log file. Just describe the
changes briefly, and exit, saving the file, and everything will be committed.
Make sure to set EDITOR to your favourite editor, or you'll end up having to
use vi (yuk! ;-).
If you have created any new files, use 'cvs add file1...' for the new files,
then 'cvs commit'. If you modify several files at a time, commit them all
with one command, and only one log file will be generated, which is more
convenient for people receiving the kde-cvs mailing list.

Regards,
Philip