[kde-doc-english] Handbook in khelpcenter

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Fri Nov 28 21:35:54 CET 2003

On Friday 28 November 2003 17.59, Allen Winter wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm just finishing the konsolekalendar handbook and noticed that it is not
> appearing in khelpcenter anywhere that I can see after running 'make
> install'. I think this is because konsolekalendar is a non-GUI application
> and therefore we never bothered to have a desktop file.
>
> What do I need to do to get konsolekalendar's handbook accessible
> via khelpcenter under the "Application Manuals" section, perhaps
> under the "Utilities" subsection?

You certainly will need a .desktop file, and you will need a DocPath entry
like this:
DocPath=help:/konsolekalendar/index.html

Along with the normal contents of course (exec, name, comment, etc - copy an
existing one is probably the easiest way to do it.)

The rest is a little trickier, I'm not sure how to go about having an entry
show up in KHelpCenter but not in the K menu, and I suspect 'hiding' it in
the K menu will also hide it in KHC.

In any case, having a K Menu entry is not the worst thing in the world, there
is the 'Other Programs' section and you can start terminal apps from menu
entries fairly easily (dig around for the mutt or MC .desktop files, for
examples of that)

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/