[kde-doc-english] linking to other KDE help docs?

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Nov 3 23:22:18 CET 2003

On Monday 03 November 2003 20.20, Will Stephenson wrote:
> How would I go about linking to another document in the KDE help system?  I

 note the markup guide's stern admonition against using <ulink> for local
> (machine-local?) resources, yet <link> seems to be only for links within
> the same document.

There isn't currently any reliable way to detect if any other document is
installed, and therefore no completely reliable way to link between them.
The correct way (olinks) is not entirely implemented at this time.

Further, we can't be assured people are reading the documentation installed on
their own computer, don't forget docs.kde.org and other locations where the
documents are available online.

For KControl, there have been some exceptions, using ulinks, but they are far
between.  More common is to specify it in full:

"Type help:/foo in &konqueror; or select <menuchoice><guimenu>Help</
guimenu><guimenuitem>Foo Handbook</guimenuitem></menuchoice> from within
&foo; for more information."

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/