[kde-doc-english]Problem in the KDE FAQ, section 9.7

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Tue Jan 7 18:46:51 CET 2003

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 18:05, Michael Schwager wrote:
> >> KDE (kdm) does not read my .bash_profile!
> >>
> >> profile. Please edit your Xsession and .xsession files."

> > What is your distribution and version of KDE ?
>
> It's 3.0.3, it's the one that comes with Redhat Linux 8.0 out-of-the-box.
> I see that it is copyright 1999-2002 Redhat, inc., and there is no .profile
> stuff in it at all.  So perhaps the file is completely different than what
> KDE distributes.  Strange...

We just don't have the resources available to document the specific vagaries
of every operating system and variant of that operating system that choose to
customise the KDE that is provided *by* KDE.

The choices are, don't document it at all (the easy choice, with only a
handful of writers) or document what we *do* provide.  We aim for the latter,
and many of the distributions include further KDE documentation detailing
distribution specific configuration etc.  RedHat is not one of those.

> I would be interested to see the text in that section of the FAQ that gives
> me an indication that it is about the case where the environment is not
> known.

You and me both :)

> Finally, if I am interested in configuring my X setup when the environment
> is not known, would I go to Chapter 9 of the FAQ?  Would I even look in the
> KDE documentation at all?  Assuming I want to configure X when the
> environment is not known, let's say that for some strange reason I open
> http://www.kde.org/documentation/faq/index.html .  I scan the headings...
> hmmm, Chapter 9 looks interesting because I want to configure.  But the
> question now is "How do I configure X when the environment is not known?"
> Is the answer then, "Why- naturally you would look in Chapter 9,
> 'Configuring KDE'" ?  I think not.  And the converse is true as well.

If we had say, some full time paid writers, doing nothing but working on the
KDE documentation, we could cover all these configuration differences and
more.  We don't, but we do have *you*.  You already have figured out a great
deal of the answer, along with Éric.  If you'd like to shape your findings
into an addition to the FAQ, we'd be more than happy to include it.

Rainer Endres (the FAQ maintainer) has asked multiple times for help updating
it, it's a *huge* job for one person, and I guarantee he'd love to have your
help - whether it's clarifying and updating the wording of the questions, the
answers, or whatever.  No docbook skills needed (at least to begin with), we
can deal with that, what you need is clear thinking and clear writing, and
you have both covered, you would be more than welcome if you'd like to get
involved and help out, whether with the FAQ or any other documentation.

Regards,
- --
Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/