[kde-doc-english]Re: KDM distant connections

BOSSU Yves yves.bossu at renault.com
Fri Feb 28 11:00:46 CET 2003

Éric Bischoff a écrit:

> Hello,
>
> I've been told by Yves, a new KDE user, that there's nothing in our
> documentation to explain how to let KDM offer a distant connection (XDMCP
> protocol).
>
> He is under KDE 3.0 and I explained him that he should modify
> 	$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xaccess
> He said that it worked out.
>
> I think it would be nice to explain that manipulation in the doc. Moreover, it
> would be better to allow to configure that in kcontrol, but in the meantime
> we could document the manual procedure.
>
> I have asked Yves to explain exactly what he did and what he was exactly
> trying to do (which machine does what, etc). Whoever takes this documentation
> tasklet, please contact him directly to get that information.

The commentaries in Xaccess are almost self-explanatory. It can be a good base
for a documentation inserted in the KDE doc.
In kcontrol, the mapping between the Xacess items and graphical widgets is
almost obvious.
My need was basic : authorize all hosts to connect on kdm. I had only to
un-comment the corresponding line in Xaccess.
A simple button "authorize all hosts to connect" is enough.

The other lines in Xaccess (chosser configuration) could be graphically
parametrable in an "advance menu".

--
Yves Bossu
RENAULT    DTSI Commerce et Logistique